Monday, September 8, 2008

It's been a long few days and it's not over yet. Tonight I told Andrew it feels like we're never going to live in this house. I hope that's not true. But speaking of, it looks like we're probably going to push back the move in date. Originally we hoped to be in on September 13th but now we are thinking Saturday the 20th. ACL Festival is the weekend of the 27 and we HAVE to be in by then because I refuse to think about house stuff during that weekend, and Aubrey is coming to stay with us. I have been looking forward to that weekend since, well, last year at ACL time and I don't want anything to interfere.

I haven't been writing much the past few nights because I have been incredibly exhausted. I am tonight, as well (its 12:15 am as I write this) but I will write a little. Last night was my dad's last night here so he of course wanted to get done as much as possible. I came home around 11 last night and Andrew and my dad stayed at the new house to do more work. My dad needed to be at the airport this morning at 6 am so I was planning to take him at 5:45. I woke up several times during the night and felt around in the bed to see if Andrew was back yet. Finally at 5 am I heard them come in. My dad took a quick shower, packed up his things, and we left for the airport. I kept telling him he was going to get sick or catch something since his body was so tired and he was going to get on an airplane. Hopefully that won't happen, but he definitely wore himself out. We appreciate all the work he put in and the bathroom tile is going to look great once it is completed (Andrew plans to do that in the next few days.) After I got home from the airport around 6:30 we went back to bed and slept till about 11. I had really wanted to go to church today because our new preacher's first Sunday was today, but it just wasn't happening. It would have been impossible for Andrew to be functional, having stayed up till 6:30 am.


We were getting ready to head over to the new house around noon when we got a call from RoomStore saying they were already at the house ready to deliver our furniture. We had to fly over there to meet them and get the furniture. Of course the floors aren't done so we just had to push the furniture up against the wall for now where the wood is already finished. Even though we can't really enjoy it yet, I'm excited to actually have it and I love the way it looks. So this afternoon we started the wood floors in the family room, the room where the new furniture will actually be going. It took about 2 hours to get the first few rows started because the wall is not completely straight. If you've ever installed hard wood floors yourself you can understand how annoying it is to work with a wall that isn't straight. I had no idea before how difficult this could be or how important it is to start off right. We had to snap about 6 chalk lines before we got it right. Then Andrew didn't want to start adding more rows till the first two were completely dry so we left for an hour and a half and came home to hang out with the dogs. I think Andrew would have been happy to not go back, but I was anxious to get back and actually start work on the floors. The floors we are installing are a glue down product so we have to spread a very thick, gooey adhesive and then lay the boards. The
skill involved is really not that difficult, but it is time consuming and exhausting. My back is extremley sore from bending over so much and my hands and fingers ache. That said, it's kind of fun to do it yourself and you take more pride in the work. I definitely recommend doing it yourself and saving $2000-$3000 dollars, but the work is no walk in the park. I'm still really proud of us for doing it, and kind of amazed that I am doing something that looks so good. Every 5 minutes or so when I stop to take a breather, I'll take a step back and say something like "I really like it! It's looking so good!" I did the same thing when we were painting. I think Andrew is getting sick of hearing me say it. We stopped around 9:45 to go get some food from Subway and ate our first dinner in the new house.



















We stopped working around 11:30 and had completed about 2/3 of the room. I wouldn't have been able to sleep tonight without seeing the furniture in the room where it belongs, so before we left I made Andrew help me move the couch in so we could take a look at what it would all look like. I love it!! Just imagine there were baseboards and the floor was clean... and that the rest of the house was done!









We worked pretty quickly in the family room tonight. This room is smaller so each row didn't have to be so long and we are getting better and more efficient. We should be able to finish this room tomorrow night after work.

1 comment:

Melanie L said...

it's looking gorgeous! I'm really proud of you for taking the initiative to do it all yourself! It's funny how much our lives are alike right now. I keep saying the same thing to Matt about paint, and I'm also like a slave driver. He would quit every night around eight if he could, but I want it all done NOW. :) Oh, and one morning after a long day's work on the house, my fingers were so swollen I couldn't get my wedding rings on. :) Ha! And just 10 minutes ago, AFW delivered our new entertainment center and coffee table. I friggin' love it!