Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Darwin Has Arrived

I can't be too long tonight since again, it's late and I've had a long day. It was also kind of a stressful/ dramatic day at work for several reasons that I won't get into on here. Nonetheless, I was able to get some work done at the house and my dad and Andrew are still there now.

I took a long lunch and met Andrew and my dad who had just arrived from the airport at home. We ate lunch and then headed over to the new house for a look around. I couldn't stand for Andrew to get to be the one to show it to him first so I had to do it. As soon as we walked in the door I could see the analytical wheels turning in his head, taking in every detail and already pondering the various projects. Anyway, I couldn't stick around too long because at that point I had already been gone from work about an hour and a half. After work I made a delicious dinner of fajitas, if I do say so myself, and then we headed back over to the house. I finished the second coat of paint in the half bathroom but I'm sure I will have some touch up to do after it dries. I'm mostly ready to be done with the green because, while I like the color, I'm getting sick of looking at it and washing it off my body. I finally got some in my hair tonight, I knew it was inevitable, it was just a matter of when. So tomorrow I will finish up the touch ups in the family room, kitchen and half bath and then hang the cabinet and mirror back up in the bathroom and put the new towel ring and toilet paper holder up. I can't wait to see how it's going to all look! This one room that will actually be COMPLETELY done in the next few days. All the other rooms will be works in progress over several weeks.

One disappointment we faced today was some news from the contractor. He came over and met Andrew and my dad at the house, and upon further inspection, it looks like removing the popcorn ceilings would be a lot more costly than we thought, for several reasons. Popcorn ceilings are usually put in a house because it's an easy and cheap way to finish a ceiling and it hides flaws in the work. If they were to just scrape our ceilings it would look terrible because when the house was built the ceilings were not finished well, and it would show. They'd basically have to scrape the ceilings and then put in a whole new ceiling which would be REALLY expensive, and ultimately not worth it. So we basically decided to not do the ceilings, which kind of sucks cause I was really looking forward to getting rid of the popcorn. But I guess it's good in someways because we aren't going to spend the money on doing it. Now it looks like all they will do is painting for us in the rooms with tall ceilings and installing a few light fixtures. I'm hoping we can get them scheduled to do that ASAP cause I'm getting impatient!

Andrew and my dad are working hard on the bathroom tile project tonight. There is a lot of preparation involved in this project and it's a lot more elaborate than I understand. I know they are cutting cement boards that have to go under the grout and tile because I caught a pic of them in garage working on it. Don't they look cool?
Tomorrow our new fridge is going to be delivered and I can hardly wait! It sounds so nerdy but getting this new stuff is really exciting. It's going to be even more awesome when we get our furniture on Sunday! We are going to see Toadies play tomorrow night at Stubbs and take a break from the craziness. Hopefully my dad will relax while we are out because he is already working really hard. I don't know if I will get time to write tomorrow but I will try and get some pics up from the concert.

Goodnight!

2 comments:

Lindsey Stokes said...

Good goo i missed alot while i was out in Lakeway! The house looks like it is coming along! I want to come see it!

Cara said...

I too had to accept my popcorn ceilings because of the time and cost in taking them down. I kind of started to appreciate them hiding imperfections especially when painting. We did not have to take the time taping the ceilings off, and if we accidentally got the ceiling, you could just break the popcorn off. :) After it is all painted, they are not that noticeable. Honestly. :)