Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Slowest Week in History.... Until Next Week

Hello faithful blog readers. Tonight I'm feeling better and a little more cheery, although today was another day on the emotional rollercoaster called "Waiting to Close on Your House." I was feeling pretty productive this morning so I called the electrician who recently did an estimate for us at the new house, and scheduled a day for him to come do the work. During the inspection some electrical problems were discovered that required attention, luckily we were able to ask for some money back towards closing to cover those costs. I was very happy to be able to schedule him for the 28th, the day after we close, and felt relieved to have crossed at least one thing off my ever growing list. We also opted to have him to put in exhaust fans in the two upstairs bathrooms since they have poor ventilation. Apparently if a bathroom has a window in it, building codes don't require it to have a fan, but who wants to shower with the window open all the time? After talking to him on the phone I was quite happy to learn that doing this additional work would cost about half of what we thought it would. Score!

On his way home from work Andrew called me to let me know about his rollercoaster ride of the day. Our contact with the lender called him this afternoon and suddenly needed some documentation that we had not known we would need before. Some of this documentation required him calling back home to Virginia to get information from his parents. She called him at 4:30 our time, 5:30 eastern time, so it wasn't really the most convenient time to be dealing with this issue. By some stroke of luck he was able to get a hold of everyone he needed and get all the information and documentation but it definitely made for a stressful end of the day.

After getting a semi-decent night's rest I was feeling a little better about my conversation with the contractor last night, which was most of the cause of my anxiety in my last post. I don't like to bash people on the internet, especially people who I know USE the internet, but I doubt he will be reading my blog anytime soon. The contractor is a nice guy and I know he means well, but he has more opinions than I care to hear about. I'd like him to do the work I'm paying him to do and not have to hear his thoughts and professional opinion on EVERYTHING else in the house. I feel like I have to justify my decisions to him and it gets really tiresome. I know he will give us a good deal and do a good job so I'm willing to put up with it. Also, I'm not the only person he's like that with, which makes me feel better. Apparently he's like that with everyone. It was frustrating last night, but in the light of a new day it was not such a big deal.

I guess all these things are to be expected. We are going about our daily lives with these lumps in the back of our throats, like just waiting for something to go awry and find out the loan got screwed up, or the house was struck by lightening, or a sink hole opened up and swallowed all of South Austin... Ok I know that sounds ridiculous, but at this point it feels like everything is teeter tottering and we are just waiting for something to happen to blow the whole thing up. And it doesn't help that the days are crawling by. I can't believe it's only Tuesday; I feel like I've lived through two months already this week. All I can think about while I'm at work is house stuff, and I'm driving myself insane. Work hasn't been particularly busy lately either, there is always something to do, but I haven't been "busy."

I think the week will start picking up tomorrow. We had to break our meal schedule for the week because we got an unexpected call from a friend in town who wanted to do dinner tomorrow night. I guess this means I will be cooking on Friday night now. Anyway, Randy grew up at Falls Church and has known Andrew forever, he was in the youth group when I was an intern, and this summer he WAS the intern at Falls Church. It makes me feel old to think about that, but it will be good to see him for a little while tomorrow night. Thursday night we are going to a show at Antone's to see Homer Hiccolm and the Rocket Boys, a band that I love a lot, made up of all guys from ACU. Friday night is the weekend, finally, and then Saturday is Lindsey's birthday and all kind of fun wedding things! I just have to find things to keep myself occupied until next Wednesday!!

That's all for tonight! Completely unrelated to house stuff, here is a pic I took the other day of our "babies!" Aren't they cute???

No comments: