Thursday, August 14, 2008

Frustrations before 8 am

Well its only my second post and I'm already having a venting session! I have to say, though, this morning was TERRIBLE!! We had an appointment to meet a contractor at the house this morning at 7 am to get an estimate on some work we want done. Paul, our realtor, was meeting us too, since we don't have access to the house yet and need him to let us in. We got there just a few minutes after 7 and Paul arrived a few minutes later. The poor contractor guy had been waiting since before 7, and at that time in the morning you just want to get things done and over with. The house has one of those electronic lock boxes on the door, so the realtor has to put in a code to get the key out so they can unlock the door. Well apparently some of these lock boxes have limited access times and 7am is not in within those time frames!!! Would have been helpful to know before! Paul was guessing we would have access at 8 am so we decided to meet back at the house then. The contractor (poor guy) said he had a couple other jobs in the area he could check on and meet back at 8, but after that he had work up north for the rest of the day. Paul said he'd go grab some breakfast. We went home and sat around.

Around 7:30 the contractor calls me and says after talking to his partner, he is guessing we won't have acces to the house till 9, in which case he can't wait around. He told me he is leaving tomorrow to go on vacation and won't be back till the 25th, but he will call me then. He said they can tentatively schedule us for the week of September 1st, but hopefully when he gets back to town they can do a real estimate for us.

So I call Paul to tell him to go on home. When he answered he told me that he got ahold of the listing agent, and he said we would have access at 7:30am. Paul said he was sitting in the driveway of the house right then. Great news!! So I call Johnny (the contractor) back and tell him we can get in now and that Paul is already over there. I felt so relieved that I hadn't wasted everyone's time and hadn't woken up at the crack of dawn for no reason. I hang up with him and start to get ready to head out the door and go back over to the house. My cell phone rings and it's Paul. I'm thinking not a good sign. He says that he just tried to get in the house and it was a no go. GRRRR!!! So I have to turn around and call Johnny AGAIN and tell him not to come and we will just talk after his vacation. I felt so dumb!

I was frustrated that we had woken up so early, I was tired, and I felt like I had inconvenienced SO many people SO early in the morning. It's bad enough to feel like you are bothering people, but even worse when they have woken up early for the occassion. Also, the contractor is kind of a friend of a friend and he has basically promised us a good deal on the whole thing. So I feel bad about it all and feel guilty that we caused them so much grief when they are doing us a favor. Of course all of this happened before I officialy "began" my day, so you can imagine how excited I was to go to work after this.

And now I am concerned about the actual scheduling of the work because I don't want it to overlap when my dad will be in town to help us. My dad is coming down for 5 days to help us do a bunch of work around the house and he's already bought his plane ticket and scheduled the trip. Now I'm going to have to make sure that when we can actually schedule the contractor that it won't interfere with what my dad and Andrew will be doing. Since I already feel like we've been a big problem I'm going to hate to be difficult when it comes to scheduling. I'm afraid they're going to say we're not worth the business and write us off. I don't really think that would happen, but I can't help but worry about it. There is just so much going on right now and so many things need to fall into place to get the house ready and to move in. I wish it was October already and I could fast forward time and the house would already be perfect!

Well that's enough whining for now I suppose. If' you've read this far already on my second post you are a true friend!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Katrina, I know how you feel. We started on a quest for some remodeling done on a couple of areas in our home back in Feb. We had a contractor out for an estimate (the contractor that we had finally decided on)the end of Feb. We waited and waited for the final estimate. Somehow our estimate got lost and he had to do it over again. We go to pick out the cabinetry at a place and they never get back to us about the estimate so we go to another place-it is now April. The designer comes to take measurements and then we wait again. The end of May I go with Missy (who was in town) to finalize the granite choice. The end of June they call me and say we are ready to begin work. It is now the middle of August and they are still not done! I vowed to myself I will never have remodeling done while I live in the house. So good luck in you endeavers. I pray it goes so much smoother for you two than it did for us. I do love the final results though!