Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Movies

In the past few days we have seen and abnormally high ratio of movies for us. It's not that we don't like watching movies but for some reason we're never able to as much as we'd like. Part of the problem is that when we rent a movie and I get all comfortable on the couch and ready to watch, I usually fall asleep in about 20 minutes. We try to get out and go to the movies but something always seems to come up that prevents us from going.

I decided weeks ago that on Christmas Day, I wanted to see Marley and Me and Andrew agreed. We got the book a few years back and started to read it, but never finished. I figured the movie would be cute even though I already knew most of the story. I don't want to give too much away on here, but there aren't any huge surprises in the movie and we all know how the circle of life works... needless to say, I cried like a baby. I cried from about half way through the movie until the end, then a little more in the car on the way home, and then when we got home and saw the dogs. Andrew might not be thrilled with me sharing this with the world, but he cried too. His quote was "I don't care how big your balls are, that movie will make you cry."


Twenty four hours later, on Friday evening we decided to watch The Dark Knight since Andrew had gotten in on DVD from my parents for Christmas. This is an example of a movie that Andrew really wanted to see when it was playing in the theater, but it never happened. I'm not sure why we never saw it but I'm probably partially to blame. I had taken a nap earlier in the afternoon on Friday so the odds were good I could stay awake for the whole movie. Andrew loved the movie which is good since it was his gift. I liked it but the whole comic book genre isn't really my thing, and this movie is especially dark. About 3/4 of the way through I was kind of ready for it to be over, and as I told Andrew, "ready to be happy again." In terms of action and cinematography it's a great flick, but I prefer something a little lighter for a Friday evening.



To get my mind off the doom and gloom from the previous movie and the reminder of the brevity of life from the evening before, I decided to put in MY Christmas gift DVD, Sleeping Beauty. This was one of my favorite Disney movies as a kid and I was pretty excited to have it on DVD now. I doubted Andrew would watch the whole movie but I needed to watch something happy for my own sake. He surprisingly stuck with it the whole time, and around 2 am Saturday morning, we finally called it a night.

No comments: