Sunday, December 7, 2008

How The Grinch Stole Christmas




Do you see the similarity? I hope you do... the one on the left is the one who tried to steal Christmas this year.

This morning Andrew and I were lying in bed asleep when he heard a loud CRASH. I could only imagine the worst but was hoping for the best. Macy was in the bedroom with us but Beamer was downstairs somewhere so we could only assume he was responsible for whatever had happpened. Andrew opened the bedroom door and looked downstairs to see Beamer standing next to the fallen Christmas tree. I couldnt bring myself to get out of bed and look at it so I'm sorry I don't have any pictures to share. I'm imagining it looked something like this....




Andrew went downstairs to start to clean up but I was too distraught to do anything. After about 20 minutes he called upstairs and asked if I could come help. By that time he was holding the tree upright but had not secured it yet. We got it stable and standing again and then began sorting through the mess. A lot of ornaments were on the ground but many were not broken. Some, however, were completely shattered to smithereens.



There are several that are not broken badly and can be glued back together. I'm suprised and very thankful for how many were not even harmed. I think at the most we lost 10 ornaments but I can't say for sure since some where beyond recognition by the time I got to them. Here are a few that I am very sad that were broken.





Last year Andrew's mom gave us matching doggy ornaments for Beamer and Macy. Of course the one that says "Beamer" is just fine and the Macy one was destroyed. I want to kill him.




Every year Andrew's mom has give him (and me too since we have been married) an ornament from the White House. This one is from 2000. You can't tell it in this picture but the blue inside part is completely unattached from the metal frame and there is really no way to reattach it. I love all these White House ornaments so I was pretty sad to loose one.



This is an ornament my mom put our wedding picture in and it is special to us. The glass is cracked down the middle, but might be able to be glued together although the crack will still remain.


It's hard to say for sure what happened, but my best guess is that Beamer was trying to drink the water out of the tree stand. I had been up a few hours earlier to let the dogs go outside and he was rattling his bowl for water then, so I filled it up then, but I'm sure he finished that and then went looking for more. I am not happy with him.

After we cleaned up the mess, got the tree standing, and sorted through what was salvageable, I didn't have the emotional energy to deal with redecorating the tree or fixing the lights. This is how we left it for now with about half the ornaments piled on the coffee table waiting to be rehung.






Later on I started referring to Beamer as the Grinch who tried to steal Christmas and was able to laugh about it a little. Andrew told him he was a triple-decker sauerkraut toadstool sandwich with arsenic sauce. I'm trying to have a sense of humor about it and I'm sure in a few years when we unpack the ornaments at the beginning of the season we will laugh about it and remember the story. Right now I'm still pretty angry.



FOR SALE:
One Brittany Spaniel, male, 3 years old. Comes neutered and is current on all vaccinations. Price negotiable.



No comments: