Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Good Morning (Part 2)

So now for the full story....

A little before 5am we were asleep in bed when the horn on Andrew's car started going off. It sounded like someone hit the panic button on the remote but that explanation didn't make any sense. Since we were woken up out of a deep sleep, neither one of us was thinking too well. Andrew fumbled around to find his keys but had no luck. After maybe 60 or 90 seconds (that felt like an hour while I was sure the whole neighborhood was cursing us) the horn stopped. Andrew said he thought he had left the keys downstairs and maybe the dog had hit them somehow. This was not a good enough explanation for me. After processing the whole thing and waking up a little more, I commented that I thought I heard a car drive by/ away and thought I saw tail lights through the window. Andrew seemed content to go back to bed and fell back asleep pretty quick. I laid there for a few minutes still feeling very unsure of what had just happened. I got out of bed and peaked through the curtains to look down at the car in the driveway. It was pitch black outside so of course I couldn't see a thing. I got back in bed but only got a little doze in because I kept thinking about the car and how I was sure someone had done something to it.

My alarm went off around 6:30 and I got up to shower. The whole time I was getting ready I just kept thinking how sure I was someone was responsible for the horn going off. After I got out of the bathroom I voiced my concerns to Andrew again. Now it was light out, so again I looked out the window down at the car and saw the smashed window. I knew it!! Andrew gave the police a call and they said they'd be out soon. We went outside to check it out but didn't want to touch anything since I guess it was a "crime scene." We saw the hood was popped and wondered if they had taken anything out, but waited till the police came to open it. A neighbor that we are friendly with came over on his way to work and commiserated with us. His family has lived in the neighborhood for 3 years and he said they've never seen anything like that. The police arrived after waiting for about an hour (thanks Austin PD) and fingerprinted everything. I guess its good they did that, but honestly, we have no hope of ever knowing who did it. While they were dusting, another neighbor from a few houses down that we had never met before came by and said her elderly father is in town visiting and thought he saw something over at our house while he was up in the night. She told the police officer that they could come by her house after they were done and talk to her father. We never got the scoop on what her father had to say, but she said she would come over sometime to talk to us and formally introduce herself.

After the police left, we cleaned up the car and the driveway and I headed off to work. Andrew unfortunately had to drive around town with no driver's side window, and of course its the coldest week of the year. During his lunch break he was able to get the window repaired, but since our deductible is higher, this expense was out of pocket. So for Christmas we got a lovely new car window.





When I got home from work I wasted no time in beginning to clean out the garage. If you read a few weeks back, I cleaned out the garage so we could fit one car in. The ironic thing is, since we have been working on the baseboards the past few nights, we had the project table, saw and some other things spread out in the garage, so both cars were parked in the driveway last night. I guess they didn't care about getting my cheap Hyundai. Here's the new and improved parking situation.








I did have some good blogging material from our house adventures last night, but I have blogged enough for today. I guess that will have to wait for another night. I guess tomorrow we can resume our baseboard work, but we're going to have clean up after ourselves every night so that we can park in the garage at night. Hopefully the paranoia won't last too long!!!

No comments: