Monday, September 28, 2009

Bathroom Facelift Part 2

The painting is done!!!! So glad to have that behind us, and I don't plan on doing it ever again. Including the coat of primer, this is the fourth time in the past year we have painted the bathroom. I'm happy to announce we BOTH are very happy with the results and agree that we will not be changing the color again. Thank the Lord! There is still a bit of touch up work to be done but I'm going to wait a week or so to do that. Everytime I paint I start to notice places that need touch up and as soon as I do a few spots, a day or two later I notice some more. It's such a hassle to get the paint out and dirty another brush, so I'm going to wait a while until I hopefully find all the spots and then touch them up all at once.

If you look back to my post from last November you can see what the bathroom has looked like for the past 10 months. Those would be some "before" pictures.


After here are the after pictures!
View from the bedroom
I LOVE the look of the two mirrors and the sharpness of the black frames on the brown wall. It looks so modern and clean! The flash from the camera made some weird reflections so excuse those.

One thing we didn't plan for but probably should have thought of was the fact that the wall behind the mirror had never been primed or painted. When we took the mirror down there was bare drywall behind it and a tiny bit of water damage along the top of the vanity backsplash. This wasn't a huge issue but it did delay us a bit since we had to recaulk along the seam and
prime the wall.
One thing that is funny about the facelift so far is that all the nice new things make all the old things look SO MUCH worse! I always hated these faucets but now I can hardly stand to look at them! They look awful! In a few weeks we will have them replaced with something new and much prettier to match all the other pretties in the bathroom.
While I am liking the addition of the hardware, again, all the new additions are kind of making me want to paint the vanity. The color of the wood doesn't look great with the color of the walls now. I'm actually leaning towards a black maybe, something to match the mirrors. I'm still in awe over how much I love the mirrors so maybe that is having an influence on me. If we do paint the vanity, it wouldn't be for a while. I want to get the new faucets in and baseboards done before that happens. You can see on the right side of this picture what the bottom of the walls looks like. They need baseboards bad! That will probably be the next projcet we will tackle in a few weeks.

One of my favorite, super easy updating techniques is changing out the faceplates on the light switches and outlets. If you look at some of the pictures from earlier in the post, you can see that we put all new stainless faceplates on. While it's not really a huge change, I love the way they look, again just very clean and modern. I also love how cheap they are at Home Depot: $1.97- $2.97! Seriously!

Well that's all I have time for tonight. Wednesday night Aubrey gets into town and then Friday through Sunday we will be out at Zilker Park all day long enjoying the Austin City Limits Music Festival! It's the most wonderful time of the year! Check back after the weekend for some pictures from the festival!

5 comments:

Chez said...

The color looks great, and those mirrors are fab! I wouldn't have thought about the drywall behind the mirror either. It's all so cute!!!

I've thought about painting my bathroom vanity cabinets too, for the same reason. I was also thinking black, since our counter tops are white. I vote that you do it first so you can give me painting pointers!! :)

Melanie L said...

We need to get some plates for the lights!

I know where you can get a pretty cheap vanity on craigslist. ;)

Looks fabulous!!!

mom said...

Looks really great! I love the mirrors also and makes me want a new mirror in our upstairs bathroom. I am really impressed by all the things you do yourselves. I will line up some projects for you for when you are home at Christmas.................
NOT!!!

flower said...

well construction.really great.

flower said...

well construction.really great.