Wednesday, October 8, 2008

It's All Good in the Hood

Well we've had some microwave woes the past few days but there is a happy ending. This past weekend when we ordered our oven we also purchased an over the range microwave to match. I was really excited about getting an over the range model because it frees up so much counter space. Also you may have figured this out by now, but I'm kind of obsessed with everything matching, so the idea of having all matching LG stainless appliances was heaven to me. Well my bubble was burst yesterday morning. We had scheduled the electrician to come install the new microwave for us on Tuesday and I went to work while Andrew stayed at the house with Jimmy the electrician. Jimmy had said it would take about an hour so when Andrew called me around 9:30 I was anxious to hear how things went. Bad news- it ain't happening. After removing the vent hood and looking at the options, an over the range model really wouldn't work for our space. If we were doing a complete remodel and putting in new cabinets it would be a different story, but as is it would require a lot of work to put that microwave in and still wouldn't look that great. Sigh. Figure out plan B.

It didn't take me long to get on Homedepot.com at work and start looking at vent hoods. Since the old oven and hood were an off white, we couldn't keep the old hood with the new stainless oven. I was sad to discover that LG doesn't sell hoods, so my dreams of having everything the same brand were over. I found several stainless options that looked pretty good so by mid afternoon I had called Jimmy back and scheduled him to come over again in the morning to install the new hood. After work yesterday we went to Home Depot and bought our new hood. Again, this is a total nerdy homeowner moment. I can't say that I've ever paid any attention to hoods at anyone's house that I have ever been to, yet when it came to picking out mine it had to perfect. It's amazing how you can be so opinionated over something you never thought about before. We found a hood that I was happy with and since it was significantly cheaper than the microwave we were returning, we got some credit back.

This morning Jimmy came over and installed the hood. I could only stick around for a few minutes before having to leave for work, but Andrew called me when it was done and he was on his way to work, and this time it went very smoothly. He said it looked good, but kind of funny with the current white oven. I admit my totally nerdiness, but it kills me to have to be at work all day while there is something new at the house that I can't see. I thought about it all day long, and even when Andrew called me at lunchtime from home I asked him again "So how does the hood look?" When the clock hit 5 I was so excited to go home and see the new hood. So here are the pics! I'm sure this isn't as exciting for everyone else as it is for me so just humor me.





I'm really happy with the hood and have come to terms with the fact that I will have to have a microwave on the counter. So it's all good. I also have to give our electrician a plug (no pun intended) because he is awesome! We've had him do several things for us over the past 2 months and we would never use anyone else. His prices are great and he is extremely friendly and helpful. He always seems to be available whenever we need him and he always remembers us when we call, so if you're in Austin and need a great electrician I'll give you Jimmy's info!


The only other news I have is that I put up the last two pineapple valances in the family room. They look pretty much like what the others look like, but it wouldn't be right if I didn't put up a picture.





I haven't done any work around the house tonight and it's been great! I was actually really tired so I took a nap for a while, but woke up to watch Project Runway. If you remember a while back I mentioned that I was playing a game with a bunch of people from home based on Project Runway (think fantasy football for girls). Well my last remaining designer was elimintated tonight but I wasn't too upset. It was between him and one girl that I really wanted to go on, so I was happy for her. I pretty much had no chance of winning at this point anyway, since there were people with a lot more points than me and who still had designers in, so I wasn't too sad to see him go. This show is so addicting!

I can't believe tomorrow is Thursday already... this week is really flying by for me, which is a good thing! We have a lot going on this weekend, and since the house is getting closer to done, there isn't as much work to be done so we can live a little.

Have a good night!!

1 comment:

Melanie L said...

Looks great! Can't wait to see it in person!!! :)