Monday, February 23, 2009

Back to the House

We've had a nice little vacation from house work for about a month but vacation is about to be over. Big plans for this weekend and I am excited to see the finished results! We are going to tackle the guest bathroom this weekend and it will look like a new room when we are done. The biggest job will be painting, but it won't be bad because it's not a very big room and about half the wall space is covered by the mirror, vanity, cabinet, shower and the window so really there isn't much surface area to cover. This bathroom will be even easier to paint than the powder room downstairs because there is less wall and the ceiling is much lower. A few months ago I was starting to hate painting but I'm actually looking forward to it this weekend. I've picked out the color and it is kind of a slate gray-blue. I currently have a yellow shower curtain and towels which I plan to keep, but I'm also going to get some white towels to alternate with the yellow. I think the color combination will look very cool.

We bought the light fixture for that bathroom way back in August when we bought ALL our fixtures so that's one thing we don't have to pay for now! After we paint we will get the light up and add some hardware to the cabinets. The cabinets and drawers don't have any handles or knobs and it annoys me. We bought a pack of knobs months ago and used two in the powder room and still have 8 left over, so again, we don't have to pay for those! I will want to get new towel bars and a towel ring for the bathroom so that will be a purchase I'll have to make. Fortunately the ones I've used in the other bathrooms were from Target, looked great in my opinion, and were really cheap so I will be buying those again!

I already have a white curtain for the window leftover from my curtain collection when we lived in Virginia. Score! One less purchase to avoid. I will be buying a few new white bath towels but I should be able to find some that are relatively inexpensive. I don't need many since I already have all the yellow ones, I just need some white to mix with them.

We do eventually want to replace the faucets in the all bathrooms, but I'm not sure if we will do this one now or wait. The faucet would definitely raise the cost of doing this room right now but it would look really nice to get rid of the old crappy one. The cheapest ones we can find that we like are around $80. If we don't do the faucet and you don't include the other supplies that we have already purchased months ago, I think this weekend we can get away with doing the room for under $75. The faucet would obviously double the cost. Either way, it's going to look really good when it's done and compared to our other projects, its going to be relatively easy.

We are going to have a rash of company over the next couple months so the guest bathroom will be getting lots of use! Only the best for our guests!!

No comments: